1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2400 LM vs ORCS & GOBLINS

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Man0waR, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

My list:
    http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15707

Orc & Goblins list:

Lords:

Black Orc warboss on boar

Heroes:
    Goblin on great cave spider BSB
    Goblin shaman nv1 Dispel scroll
    Goblin shanan nv1

Core:
    40 night gobbos. Nets & 1 fanatic
    60 night gobbos. Nets & 1 fanatic
    30 Orc warriors big'uns sword&board
    5x wolf riders
    5x wolf riders
    Special:
    2xWolf Chariot
    23x Black Orcs <-- General and BSB right there.
    1x Spear chucka

Rare:
    Rock lobba
    3x River Trolls
    Doom diver
    Pump Wagon.

Deployment: I started deploying some units int my right flank and once he put some low LD units I deploy my Saurus warriors and Templeguard in the middle to left section of the battlefield. He bite the bait, and put his General and BSB too far away from his left flank (In my PoV my right flank).

From left to right (me): Oldblood Carnosaur (on the edge of the table) , Skink skirmisher w/ lvl2 Skink priest, Temple guard with Slann , Saurus warrior, skink cohort w/ lvl 1 Skink priest, Skink skirmishers , Stegadon (on the edge of the table)

From left to right (in my pov, orc &goblins deployment): 60 Night gobbos, Squig Mangler, Black orcs, trolls, Orcs big'uns, Wolfs behind, Goblin chariot , Goblin chariot, Mangler Squig wolfs and pump wagon , in the right corner his 3 warmachines.

Prethoughts: Ok I will have magic dominance and I haven't suffered a single miscast in the league, so I will deploy the slann in TG since ill be casting with low dice attemps....

I won first turn.

My main strategy for this game was to win the right flank by panicking the 40 ng unit and killing the chaff and WM with no problem. Then moving my combat units to the right flank waiting for the orcs to come, setting a flank charge with stegadon and rear charge with carnosaur...

LM turn 1.

So I move forward my skink cohort in order to arcane vassal those unit with no IP boost. My Stegadon & skink skirmishers move along but at "safe" distance from the pump wagon.

Saurus warriors swift reform and moves 4" to secure the right side of the battle field and TG swift reform and moves to do the same.

Skinks goes in saurus left flank in order to redirect if needed. Carnosaur moves forward, out of warmachine range.

Magic. 7 vs 5
    Cast Tempest on 3 dice. Dispelled.
    Cast Soul Quench on 2 dice. IF ! WTF !!
    Ok... target was wolf chariot who is destroyed, also force panick to 40 night goblins along a nv1 shaman out of the table.
    Miscast roll 2+2 ... Soul of stone +1 = 5.... small template = 9 templeguard lost due to Slann C4. And 4 power dices lost so my magic phase ends.

I trade Soul quench for a Death spell. Roll 5 Hurray !

Ok i achieve my goal at a cost of half my elite infantry who could not stand against any of his blocks... at least I can perform my battle plan.

End of my turn.

O&G turn 1.

He fails 2 animosity left night goblins stuck in place, and right wolf riders moves and declares charge against my skink cohort. S&S only does 1 wound. Charge is successful.

He moves all forward, his left mangler claims the left flank of 60 ng unit (who suffered animosity and didn't move) threatening any advance of my Oldblood Carnosaur. His right mangler advance too much and end in the middle of the battlefield without any protecction and near to the engaged skink cohort, who should win the fight and reform wide to deal with it...
    His pump wagon stand their ground as a cover for any warmachine hunters.

Magic. He didn't cast anything in the whole game and I always store 1 DD for PD.

Shooting his rock lobba tries to blast my AStegadon and the device just wrecked (1-2 missfire). Spearchucka fails to hit the Stegadon and Doomdiver scatters on my skink cohort dealing 5 wounds :S

Combat. 30 Skinks cohort vs 4 Wolf riders . Ok its 11 attacks on 4's 4's saving on 4's.... Also I got +4 CR what could go wrong?
    Well, no wounds dealt and I face 3 wounds in return, Tie but I have Musician so... LD 6 +1 he needed to roll 5 or below. I need that break for fulfill my battle plans... Wolf riders stay.

LM Turn 2.

Ok this still going under my battleplan despite I have my main shooting unit engaged.

I cant win the left flank with a Carnosaur but its part of the plan, he could not ignore him neither shoot him, so I move to the middle and backwards, I dont want that mangler squig to just bounce throught the dino.

In the middle depleted TG with Slann march to the right flank in order to gain time for magic & shooting to thin the orc numbers. Saurus warriors march in front of the right Mangler squig and my plan was to WBW the unit and position them in the right flank of orc Big'uns and destroying the mangler squig within the movement.

Skinks skirmishers covers the saurus left flank invalidating any flank charge on them, the Skink shaman in the unit was in 12" of his BSB to Cast Fate of Bjiuna.

Right Skink skirmishers move in range to shoot the pump wagon, and AStegadon moves to the center behind them, invalidating any chance for the pump wagon to reach the monster in first place. So my plan is simple.

I walk between worlds with the saurus and position on the right flank of orcs ready to charge 'em, also i deal with the mangler. I Kill the goblin BSB with fate of bjiuna and open free path of my bloodroar carnosaur to panick those 60's ng. My skink cohorts finally breaks the wolf riders and i can reform facing the orc units in order to remove their steadfast.
    But dreams never come true.

Magic 7 to 4

Fate of bjiuna with 4 dices. huge roll but is vanished by Dispel Scroll. <-- As expected.
    Walk between worlds with 3 dices left. HOLY CRAP ! 1, 1, 2 +4 = 8 vs 4 DD ... Dispelled...
    Now the mangler squig is in front of my saurus and can bounce through TG too...

Guys this is game over.

Shooting skirmishers dont take out the mangler and right skirmishers dont do a freaking wound against the pump wagon.

Combat you guess what? My skink doesn't manage to score a wound, and keep losing their numbers. I lose by 1 and thanks to Skink priest LD I hold.... But there's a Wolf chariot there that can flank charge.... This would have not been an issue if I could reform wide after breaking the wolves and deliver 20 S&S shots...

So I remember myself quoting "I dont trust in magic".

O&G turn 2.

Animosity. Orcs Big'uns Animosity Forced to charge, its an above average roll against my saurus warriors and they succeed.... Bye bye Saurus. Bye bye Game. But thank to Skink skirmishers positioning his charge must be made on the front, and this prevents the mangler to bounce in the direction of TG so may the Lizards have a chance if Saurus hold.

Charges: the mentioned 30 Big'Uns Orc Warriors and a Wolf Chariot against the flank of my skink cohort. I double flee with left Skink skirmishers and skink priest from the trolls. So his main line can move all the distance with their marches. So I gain a turn without Black Orcs smashing my TG.

The Black Orcs moves forward claiming the middle of the battlefield with a big 60's ng horde at his side preventing my Carnosaur to engage them. His left mangler squigs moves too little so it cant reach my carnosaur if I engage.
    The goblins ends their movement at 8" from my Carnosaur and triggers out their fanatic, who doesn't hit the dino.

His Pump Wagon advance against my poor Skink skirmishers who failed to destroy it in previous turn. Random Movement ends up in a Charge with no reactions allowed. Ok they are dead, but the explosive sprouts are wasted, so my AStegadon will live the overrun attemp.

Also the mangler squig bounce through Saurus Warriors killing 7.

Magic:
    Nothing to mention, I store again the DD.

Shooting. Spear chucka fail to wound the AStegadon. Doom diver 3-4 missfire so doesn't shoot for this round and the next.

Combat. Skink cohort suffer big loses and only manage to kill one wolf rider... I swear my dice only roll 2's. Its like 50% of my rolls are 2's. I'm stead fast so I hold but they are down to 14... And this unit was the one designed for breaking steadfast Y_Y

Big'uns vs Saurus. I suffer 5 wounds but in return I score like 8 wounds. Ok I'm not stead fast and i lose by 3, a wide margin of succeed having to roll cool blooded 6 or below with BSB...
    YES ! You are right, they fled. They are caught, and the pursue ends in 11 TG and a Slann, with a Mangler Squig just 1" in their right flank....

Pump wagon destroys my Skink Skirmisher and overun into my AStegadon... So i cannot charge that Wolf Chariot and free my Skink Cohort....

Overall Facepalm.

LM turn 3

Ok this is grim. But in darkest hours the heroes rises. My Oldblood charge the ng Horde b2b with their lvl1 wizard, lets score some points at least.

I reform my skink skirmishers wide and blocking the black orcs charge path against the carnosaur and behind them my
    Skink priest also rallies.

Nothing to move as all is engaged or rallied. At least I have an Arcanne Vassal ready.

Magic: 9 to 4

Boosted Hand Of Glory on TG on 3 dices, I needed in order to strike first and be able to survive that fight. He tries to Dispell it but fails, +1 to I and WS.

Go big or go Home ! 6 die Fiery Convocation through Skink priest on Black Orks Which I succeed with no miscast. I drop like 8 Black Orcs and do an unexpected wound on his General who rolls pretty bad.

I trade fiery Convocation for Earthblood.

Nothing to shoot.

Combat. AStegadon was overun by Pump Wagon so roll for impact hits.... 11 !!!
    S5 vs T6 on 5's... 5 wounds... Ok they cannot bypass AS so I save on 5's...

Roll and 3 saves ! The AStegadon crush the wagon into pieces and faces the wolf Chariot.

Templeguard kills like another 9 Orcs and lose 3 in return. The Orcs are Steadfast but they are not in General and BSB range so on 7's. And you know... They Stay. With that freaking mangler squig roaming around.

Remember what I said about heroes rising in darkest hour... forget it plz.

Carnosaur attacks, 2 against the goblin shaman, in case I fail one... Ok 1 miss 1 strike, 1 wound, d3 wounds= 1....
    with the other 2 attacks against the unit, fails horribly.

Oldblood attacks 2 against the wizard, i want that VP. Two misses. with the other remaining attacks, (3) only score 1 wound. At least Thunderstomp manage to kill 4 more. So I win but they as expected, hold.

O&G Turn 3

Troll Charges against Skirmishers & BO charges the flank of my Oldblood, we had a discussion whether BO could declare charge on Carnosaur as they were skink in the path or not.
    But it was legal since the trolls made the first charge move and skinks had to be in close combat formation, so no more blocking from them. So BO charges my poor dino Y_Y. Also he Called WAAAAGHHH. No chance for him.

The right mangler squig, in the flank of my TG scatters away... fiuuu...
    His left mangler squigs advance a bit and position to smash the Carnosaur in next turn... If there's a Carnosaur you know...

Magic. He got like 6 dices to use and he tries to cast poison attacks on BO and is Dispell Scrolled, once he finished his magic phase I told him that Fiery Convocation is still on play so his huge Black Orc unit is now on half its numbers.

Shooting Spear Chucka 5-6 missfires.

Combat:
    Templeguard slays 9 Orcs Big'uns and take some casualties, ending up in 5 models & the Slann which skink scribe goes to town and annhilates one more. Just for the laughs. Orcs finally break and are caught by TG who put a security distance from the mangler squig.

Skink cohorts manage to kill one wolf rider and lose two more, Waaaagh make them lose, but they hold on Steadfast.

Oldblood Carnosaur vs horde of ng vs BlackOrcs + general + bsb.

Skink Skirmishers vs troll kills one (s&s & attacks) and suffer 6 wounds. They Snake eyes and holds, preventing a fatal overun against the lvl2 Skink priest

I declare a challenge against Black Orc Unit as they go with great weapons. Obviously he refuse and i send his general back. (with luck my Carno could survive and have Swiftstride for the run away)
    Goblins fails their fear check and hits on 5's wounding on 6's... Scores a wound... no save on 4's...

5 Carnosaur attacks against ng (i wanted CR) scored 2 wounds (really my rolls are pitty).
    On Always Strike Last, Thunderstomp took out 4 BO and Oldblood another 3. In return my Carnosaur is torn to pieces.

So... CR. 9 wounds vs 5 wounds + charge + flank +3 rows + standard bearer + battle standard bearer + 2 for general whaagh. On snake eyes who doesn't show.

The oldblood retreats on foot and rolls a 9. While only the goblins pursue and dont catch him ! No points given, Lizardmen are back in the game.

LM turn 4

AStegadon charge the wolf chariot.
    Templeguard swift reform to face the BO. Skink Priest sneaks between ng horde and BO to try to Arcane Vassal. Oldblood reforms in front of a neverending ng horde.

Magic 12v6.
    Tempest on 4 dices against the NG horde. IF !!! again !!! :S The template scatter over BO and kills 1. Also does a wound on my skink priest ! WHY !!!
    Miscast roll was a 9: S6 to any model who can channel attemp (so my lvl 2 skink would die) . Also drains d6 PD and I still have 8... So I use Soul of Stone to trade it for 10. Losing 2 levels and 2 spells.

Then I cast 6 dice Fate of Bjiuna through lvl2 skink priest. Crappy roll again I only score 18 and he dispells it saving his BSB.

Then i cast Earthblood on my TG and healing 1 wound on AStegadon. Making both not targetable by the doomdiver.
    Fiery Convocation kills 3 BO more, so the unit now is 4 BO.

Nothing to shoot.

Combat: AStegadon does 5 impact hits, wounds 4 and destroys 3 times the chariot by doing 9 unsaved wounds
    The skinks kills one more wolf rider, and forcing the last one to snake eyes. WR breaks and are caught by Skink cohort. AStegadon reforms to set a flank charge if TempleGuard are charged.

Skink skirmishers vs troll: Scores one extra wound against troll but are annihilated.

O&G Turn 4 and last turn.

Running out of 2:30 hours game time. He thinks about a final combined charge of trolls and the remains of his Black Orcs + general + BSB unit against TG. But knowing (open list) my Slann have Banner of the Eternal Flame, also Earthblood casted on the unit and BO needing a long distance charge, he decided not to suicide.

His NG didnt charge the lone Oldblood as the charge would end up far away from his General. And you know, PF is there, you can get a god-like roll and get some extra wounds that would end up in Oldblood winning the combat and the horde fleeing. (If I was him i would have charged, he ignored 496 points of oldblood who could have been broken due to CR)

So he just didn't risk anything.

In magic he secures the dispelling of Fiery Convocation. So no more loses.

Shooting: His spearchucka failed again to hit AStegadon, His doom diver sees no point in striking AStegadon (4 wounds left) no sense on ITP TG with Regeneration (5+) , Out of range from Oldblood and Skink priest. So the only target available was the 8 Skink Cohort with a Lvl1 Priest... So... HIT ! -> 6 Hits ! -> 5 wounds -> Panick ! -> Roll to flee 7" ...

They ended up at 1" from the edge of the table, so again no points given.

The game ended with lot of slaughter, infantry down to few man or completely destroyed. Too much back and forth in the game but at least a Victory for the Lizardmen !

O&G : 459 points (24 Saurus warriors + 2 skink skirmishers)
    Lizardmen: 832 points (30 Orcs Big'Uns + 2 Chariots + 40 ng unit + Rock Lobba + Pump Wagon + Wolf riders + Wolf Riders (I realize i didnt mentioned but they panicked off the table))