1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2400 Lizardmen - Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Vulkan, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Vulkan
    Jungle Swarm

Vulkan New Member

Hi Guys,

Long-time listener, first time caller. Mostly. I've been getting a lot into WHFB because it's the only system I made readily available after moving house.

My regular opponent is Skaven and he consistently beats me both through my tactical ineptitude and through what I believe to be poor choices in my army list. I was looking for some more experienced players to have a look, see where changes can be made (within reason) and help me improve in general.

There are a few things I would rather not change, but I am sure there are opportunities to optimise certain parts of the list.

This is what I was planning to field at 2400:

LORDS
    Slann Mage-Priest - 385
    BSB, Standard of Discipline, Shrieking Blade, Focus of Mystery

HEROES
    Gor-Rok - 185
    Saurus Scar-Veteran - 339
    Great Weapon, Light Armour, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Carnosaur w/ Loping Stride

CORE
    29 Saurus Warriors - 349
    Full Command, Spears
    Skink Cohort - 300
    Full Command, 3 Kroxigors

Special

20 Temple Guard - 310
    Full Command
    3 Terradons - 105

Rare

Ancient Stegadon - 230
    Salamander - 80
    Salamander - 80

Total - 2359

I'm sure there is somewhere this can be improved - I'd like to do better against Skaven, but would also like the list to improve as a whole.

I'd like to retain the Carnosaur if at all possible.

2. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

I'm no tournie player, hell I don't even play on a regular basis but in my opinion, the glaring omission is skink skirmishers.

In my opinion, drop the krox and take a min of 3 units of skink skirmishers (10 or 12).Assuming your skaven oppo uses a hell pit abomination, the skirmishers have the potential to rail road him. Someone on here told me about this tactic a while back and I used it to good effect. Its probably considered a bit cheesy, but it is perfectly legal (if situational).

I don't know what the Shrieking Blade does as I don't have the rule book with me, but I'd probably drop that for maybe the channeling staff and the power that allows the slann to channel two extra dice (? name)

Is one unit of terradons enough to hunt all his warmachines? Could you also field some chamo skinks?

Do you have the extra handler for the sallies? Try to find the points if you don't.

I love the carno too, but rarely used it, finding it expensive and more flexible options can be bought using its points. I'd suggest putting scarvet on a cold one which would save a lot of points.

I'm sure others will give other/better tips, but hope the above helps.

3. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

First off, never ever post individual point values, please read the forum guidenlines. WHFB may be dead, but GW still holds the copyrights, so the forum can still be sued if we post this information. Just give us the total point ammount, we know how expensive everything is.

I agree that Skinks are really missing in this list, a Skrox horde is just not quite the same. Having some cheap throw away units as redirectors and harassers is priceless in WHFB. If you try to put them in, in addition to some other tips i will give you, the list will be fine. Hope you do well, welcome to the jungle!

LORDS
    Slann Mage-Priest. BSB, Standard of Discipline, Shrieking Blade, Focus of Mystery. Drop the Blade, it only gives you Fear, which is not that good and easier and cheaper to get via other ways. Consider the channeling combo (Channeling staff+Harmonic Convergence for 3 5+ channels) if you find that you lack magical dominance.

HEROES
    Gor-Rok.
    Saurus Scar-Veteran. Great Weapon, Light Armour, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Carnosaur w/ Loping Stride. Seems to be a bit naked if he is to sit on a Carnosaur. Try to give him a 1+ save with the Dawnstone for that sweet 1+ reroll armour save, i think he will just be pinched of his ride to quickly in this setup when you run him against serious units. SHould be able to do some damage, just needs to be able to take a bit more, as you are planning to send this guy into the thick of things ofcourse.

CORE
    29 Saurus Warriors
    Full Command, Spears
    Skink Cohort. Full Command, 3 Kroxigors. I am not a fan of the Skrox, but this is personal preference, people are known to have run it to great effect. Nobody would run Skrox in lieu of Skink Skirmishers though, when i start building a list, i always take at least like 3 units of Skink Skirmishers, preferably more, they are so good. Try fitting those into your list.

Special

20 Temple Guard Full Command. To small. I think you want your Slann in this unit? Prepare to have every spell and cannon to be fired at your TG in every single game, if i take TG with my Slann (and you should only take TG with a Slann) i at least take 25, preferably 30.
    3 Terradons

Rare

Ancient Stegadon
    Salamander. Take Snacks, pay 4 points extra for another skink. If the Sallie missfires it eats D3 skinks. If you are really unlucky, when you are without a Snack, you can lose your Sallie to a missfire the first time it shoots, if you have the extra skink, this cannot happen.
    Salamander