1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. 2000pts vs Skaven

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by white_aardvark, Jun 26, 2008.

1. white_aardvark
    Skink

white_aardvark New Member

So I played my first 2000 points game yesterday - finally gave me a chance to use my Slann! Here's a rough overview of the list:

2nd Lvl Slann
    Skink Priest
    Scar Vet on Cold One
    15 Saurus Warriors
    12 Temple Guard
    2 x 10 Skink Scouts
    1 Salamander
    3 Kroxigors
    5 Saurus Cold One Riders

(I know it's not the best list but I have to go with the models I have...)

Deployment clearly favoured him, he had the higher ground and sat a unit of Warplock Jezzails (I think that's what they're called) as well as his Grey Seer on the top of a hill with a cliff in front. Also during setup he managed to go first with his scouts and placed one assassin inside a cave which stopped me from putting my skinks anywhere useful on the right flank, which is where all of his infantry plus his giant (!) was. The only good thing was that I was able to deploy my skink priest inside a water feature with a view of all of his main units, especially his grey seer.

The highlights: I had great spells (Wall of Fire, Fiery Blast, Wind of Death and Steal Soul for the Slann as well as the Second Sign of Amul and Forked Lightning for the Skink).

What did well: the first turn for my left flank skinks which were hiding behind a high hill managed to rip into his giant rats and then stand and shoot against his rat ogres doing a fair bit of damage. The kroxigors and salamander drew fire from the jezzails and eventually overcame the remaining rat ogre as well as scaring the jezzails enough during a charge for them to flee off the table.

My Saurus Cavalry with the Scar Vet went straight up the middle and tore into his plague monks causing them to flee. They rallied the next turn due to the grey seer being close, but I just charged again and forced them off the table. This caused my cavalry to be in a bad position at first sight, but actually it was very nice as the scar vet then left the unit and charged right into the back of the giant, tying him up before he could charge the temple guard and causing three wounds. Unfortunately, he did get eaten next turn...

The magic phases were clearly dominated by me, however I only had one effective attacking phase and then managed to fail my casting rolls for most spells for the next 3 phases! And I was using enough dice - I'm just lucky Slann don't have to roll on the miscast table otherwise I would have frizzled. On the other hand I managed to dispel almost all of his spells at various times. I was lucky though because he miscast his most powerful spell and then rolled an 11 on the miscast table.

Finally after I had already done two wounds to the grey seer he teleported himself into the little cave on the right flank which put him inside my steal soul range. I thanked him for the extra wound on my slann and the grey seer expired.

The skinks on the right flank managed to block the charge of one unit of clanrats and the sauruses battled it out with the other unit, eventually whittling them down to nothing, but then got charged in the flank by the other unit which had by now forced the skinks to run away.

The giant was offed in the 5th turn by forked lightning.

So what was left standing by the end: half a unit of clanrats on his side and a the untouched unit of temple guard with the slann, 2 kroxigors, 2 saurus cavalry as well as the skink priest on my side. I call that a win.

2. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Was his grey seer in a unit at any point? In the latest edition, characters can be shot at if they are on their own, no matter how close they're standing to a unit. It's seems surprising that he would have such an expensice character running around on his own.

Shame about the Slann failing to get some of his spells off, hopefully you'll have better luck next time, don't lose faith! :D

Thanks for the report :)

3. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

He could have conceivably joined the jezzails, as they were deployed on the same hill.

My one suggestion, is that I think that the plaque of Tepok might have helped you in this game. Although your Slann's spells were indeed good, taking a 5th spell allows you to take two low level spells (i.e. fireball, winds of death, etc.). Although your spell selection was great, the spells besides winds of death are medium or higher in difficulty.'

Oh, and I was just wondering how the mechanics of charging the giant with the Scar Veteren were. From the way you described it, it would seem that your Scar Veteran was not limited by your SCOR's LOS.

4. white_aardvark
    Skink

His grey seer was in a slightly different spot because he wanted to have a line of sight to almost all of my units. I reckon it was a major mistake.

I'll check out the Plaque of Tepok.

Help me out: what does LOS stand for? I'm sorry, please remember this was only my third bout ever of this most beautiful game....

5. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Line of Sight. The reason I am wondering is that a character on a mount only has a 180 degree line of sight, and he can only charge out of a unit he is in as restricted by their 90 degree line of sight. It seems odd to me that you could have hit the rear of the giant after running a plague monk unit down.

6. white_aardvark
    Skink

OK, I understand. I was thinking of making pictures like I've seen online, might be a nice way of documenting battles...

In this case it was simple. The charged down plague monks were at an approximately 80 degree angle to the giant, who had just turned to face the last of the skinks as well as my saurus regiment. So my scar vet had to turn about those 80 degrees to the right and then saw those chunky buttocks of the giant right in front of him.

7. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Yeah, although it is not entirely necessary pictures are often a great help. More so than that though, a better idea of your deployment and the overall terrain might be more useful. This can be done either as a written description, a brief paint pic, or simply an arrangement of characters on the screen

8. white_aardvark
    Skink

next time I will do a better job! I'll just take my camera with me.

Also, I just realised I failed to mention a vital fact in this particular move: the scar vet was on the outside of the unit due to the SCOR on his right having snuffed it... That made the whole thing a lot easier.

9. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

ahhhhhhhh yeah :) .