1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 1500 pts vs. WoC

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by doittoit, Oct 23, 2015.

1. doittoit
    Skink

doittoit New Member

I'll be playing against my brother's WoC and hopefully will be coming back from a string of 3 or so losses against them. We've mostly just been experimenting with all the units in our books as we've played about 7 games so far. I don't have a clue what will be in his list except a Sorcerer of some sort (usually lvl 2) and I think he'll be trying a Chimera for the first time. Here's the list I'm tinkering with:

Heroes:
    -Saurus Scar-Veteran w/ Cold One, Light Armour, Sacred Stegadon Helm of Itza, Seed of Rebirth, Great Weapon (General)
    -Skink Priest w/ Lvl 2, Lore of Heavens, Ancient Stegadon w/ Engine of the Gods
    -Skink Priest w/ Lvl 2, Lore of Beasts

Core:
    -25 man Saurus Warriors w/ Full Command, Hand Weapons
    -10 man Skink Skirmishers w/ Javelins & Shields

Special:
    -3 man Kroxigor

Rare:
    -Ancient Stegadon w/ Sharpened Horns
    -Salamander w/ 1 extra Skink Handler

I've got the mounted Skink Priest on Lore of Heavens mostly just because I thought it might be cool to attempt Comet (I've never seen it). And another Ancient Stegadon is always nice, even if the Engine isn't all that cool. I could replace the Lore of Beasts Skink Priest with a Skink Chief BSB on a Terradon or something, or maybe Skink Chief BSB with some armor and put him in the Skirmishers unit. I've got the Salamander just because I haven't used one in a while but would be open to a better alternative. The breathe fire move doesn't seem to do much against WoC.

2. doittoit
    Skink

doittoit New Member

Here's the updated list with a BSB instead of an extra Skink Priest:

Heroes:
    -Saurus Scar-Veteran w/ Cold One, Light Armour, Sacred Stegadon Helm of Itza, Great Weapon
    -Skink Priest w/ Lvl 2, Lore of Heavens, Ancient Stegadon w/ Engine of the Gods (General)
    -Skink Chief w/ Terradon, Enchanted Shield, Light Armour, Javelin (BSB)

Core:
    -25 man Saurus Warriors w/ Full Command, Hand Weapons
    -10 man Skink Skirmishers w/ Javelins & Shields

Special:
    -3 man Kroxigor

Rare:
    -Ancient Stegadon w/ Sharpened Horns
    -Salamander w/ 1 extra Skink Handler

Probably better than the first. I switched my General to the Monster-riding Skink Priest so I can fling my Scar-Veteran Cowboy around without risk. There's probably still something better than a Salamander to take, but I'm not sure what it would be or if I could afford it.

3. skink chief
    Kroxigor

skink chief Active Member

Go for an extra skirmisher group instead of the salamander? Don't hava a lot of time right now, but that's the one thing I would probably change.

4. doittoit
    Skink

doittoit New Member

Good call, the extra poisoned javelins would be more useful than the Salamander anyway. All Salamanders have ever been good for against my brother is killing Chaos Warhounds, hah. I also have dropped the Champion from the unit of Saurus Warriors since I no longer need him to meet minimum Core. So that leaves likes 26 points left over; I'm thinking I can use it to either take a Dawnstone on the Scar-Vet or a Dispel Scroll on the Skink Priest.

5. skink chief
    Kroxigor

skink chief Active Member

Both are good choices. In a 1500pts army a dawnstone could suprisingly be the better choice. I don't think he could put a lvl 3 or 4 on the field without hurting his list hard in other parts.

For the skirmishers: especially in your list where you have 2 ancient stegs they give you the wonerfull option of redirecting so you can give your steggies a nice and juicy flankcharge ;)

doittoit likes this.
  6. doittoit
    Skink

doittoit New Member

Nice, that's a good point, I like it. I just realized that Scar-Vets can only take 50 pts of magic items so I have to choose: Sacred Stegadon Helm for the T6 and Impact Hits, or Glittering Scales + Dawnstone for the -1 to be hit and re-roll failed armor saves. I like both options a lot, really. T6 will make his Chaos Warriors and Chosen (which he's been fielding with dual hand weapons) only wound me on 6s, but the -1 to be hit and re-roll saves will probably do a better job of keeping him alive.

Yeah, while typing that I realized that it's probably gotta be Glittering Scales + Dawnstone.