1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age 1000 pts SA vs KoE army advice

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by DinoRider, Jan 20, 2017.

1. DinoRider
    Jungle Swarm

DinoRider New Member

Hi all, first time player here just starting out with the 3.0 9th rules. Playing against a friend who is playing KoE and I am having a bit of trouble since I don't see any obvious choices. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

SA list:
    veteran paired weapons and light armour 220pts
    Saurian block A X10 with spears 180pts
    Saurian block B X10 with spears 180pts
    Saurian blockC X10 with spears 180pts
    Spearback X2 240pts

the KoE list ( I think)
    paladin moutned and lance 187pts
    peasent levy x20 with spears +SB 140pts
    peasent bowmen X16 212pts
    Knights forlon X10 with SB 210pts
    Knights of the realm x5 with SB 240pts

My idea is just try not to get all my units murdered by charging Calvary (so splitting them up), wipe out the knights and then hopefully have enough men to deal with his footmen.

Qupakoco likes this.
  2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Hmm, I haven't played 9th myself, but if it's anything similar to how 8th was, I would expect that the small Saurus units will perform fairly well. If you keep them in detachments of 2 then you'll always have one ready to support the other at any time.

Cavalry could potentially break a small unit of 10 fairly easily, so setting up your army to be able to redirect the chargers would be helpful too.

Good luck!

3. DinoRider
    Jungle Swarm

DinoRider New Member

So in the end I did win. Yay! There was some changes to his roster, he had more archers, and dropped the spearmen and knights forlorn for some peasant crusaders. Then he switch Knights to Knights Aspirant kept the paladin in there and added lots of magical gear and a magical battle standard.

The scenario was hold the ground, which is probably why I won. Frankly I had no answer to his knights, they tore though anything they touched. However he spent so much on them he had only two other units. I ignored the archers ( they did maybe 4 wounds the whole game) took out the peasant crusaders and then spread out and ran out the clock. By the end of turn six he had destroyed one saurian unit and killed off half of another. However I also ended the game with two scoring units at the goal netting me the win. There was for sure a lot to learn from, but also a lot of fun!

Qupakoco likes this.
  4. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Glad it went well! How did you like playing T9A rules?

5. DinoRider
    Jungle Swarm

DinoRider New Member

I think both my opponent and I agreed that most of the rules where pretty fair and understandable. Then again nothing to weird happened in terms of positioning and angles. I didn't have an answer to the mounted knight unit, but using terrain some form of tactics ( leading his knights away from the objective) and some luck I was able to win against what was pretty bad match up. That said it has been several games later, and our group has gottten bigger. I have played vs VS, OK ,EOS and UD. Most went ok, I have yet to have any problems vs the OK army, I hate playing the UD army because it is always a battle to the knife with only a few models on the table by turn 6 ( even though I keep killing his hierophant). However I feel pretty powerless aginst the EoS and his gryphon unit with leader on gryphon. at 1500 pts am not able to field anything that can stop that unit AND still deal with his regular infantry after. If you have suggestions I would love to hear them.